Milwaukee Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were hurt in a car accident, you may want to speak to a Milwaukee personal injury lawyer from Hickey & Turim, S.C. Our attorneys have helped car accident victims obtain compensation for decades and are ready to assist you. As a family-owned firm, we’re dedicated to serving communities in and around Milwaukee.
What to Do After a Car Accident
It’s perfectly normal to feel a little disturbed or upset after a car accident. However, after you regain your composure, and if you are able, try to take some of the following steps:
- Take Photos: If you are physically able, take a few photos of the damage to your vehicle, your injuries, and the accident scene. These photos could help a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee respects prove how the accident happened and how severe the immediate damages were.
- Call the Police: When police arrive to the accident scene, they should make a detailed report of the accident. This includes important information, such as what happened, who was involved, and who might be at fault. This report could help you obtain fair compensation for your injuries.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there were any bystanders around at the time of the accident, it may be a good idea to get their names and contact information. Your Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may call them to testify on your behalf in court.
- Seek Medical Care: Even if you don’t think you were badly injured, you should still seek medical care as soon as possible. Some car accident injuries can be difficult to detect right away. If you neglect to get medical care immediately, the insurance company might try to argue that you weren’t really hurt.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents occur every day and they can result in many kinds of injuries. Some injuries are fairly minor while others are life-threatening. A Milwaukee personal injury lawyer from Hickey & Turim, S.C. has represented car accident victims with several types of injuries, including:
- Head Injuries: Drivers or passengers who hit their head against the dashboard, windows, or steering wheel during a car accident can suffer head injuries. These injuries can lead to serious problems, like hearing loss, cognitive issues, vision loss, and skull fractures. If you suffered a head injury, you may need to undergo surgery and rehabilitation.
- Whiplash: If the neck is moved suddenly during a car accident, it can cause damage to the surrounding ligaments and muscles. Individuals who suffer whiplash may experience pain in the neck, back and arm, dizziness, and stiffness in the neck.
- Bruises and Lacerations: A personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee WI may have also represented car accidents victims who suffered bruises and lacerations. Loose objects in a car, such as cell phones and mugs, can fly around the interior during a collision and hit the body. While some of these scrapes and cuts are minor, others could be severe and may require extra medical care.
- Arm and Leg Injuries: If a passenger is thrown against the car door during a side impact, it can lead to several injuries, including bruises, broken bones and sprains.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations to file a car accident lawsuit is three years. In order to recover compensation for your injuries, you must file a claim within that timeframe. That is why it is important to talk to an experienced Milwaukee personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
A Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may get started on your case right away. Your lawyer may help you gather the necessary evidence, talk to witnesses and negotiate with insurance companies. The sooner you begin the claim process, the sooner you can obtain the compensation you deserve.
What Damages Can I Claim?
If you were injured in a car accident, a Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may help you recover several types of damages, including:
- Past and Future Medical Bills: Whether you had stitches or major surgery, you may be able to recover compensation for medical bills related to your car accident injuries. Remember to obtain copies of these medical bills from your doctor.
- Lost Wages: Some car accident injuries are severe enough that they require you to take time off from work. If you file a claim, you might be able to get compensated for lost wages. If your injuries prevent you from returning to your job in the future, you may receive additional compensation for that.
- Pain and Suffering: If your injuries lead to additional pain and suffering, your Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may help you obtain compensation.
- Learn more about How Damage Amounts Are Determined
Why It May Be Important to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
It is possible to file a car accident lawsuit on your own. However, it is often recommended to speak with a Milwaukee personal injury lawyer before making any decisions. A car accident lawsuit can be quite complex, and it is easy to make mistakes along the way. Here are a few benefits of hiring a lawyer for counsel:
- Fair Compensation: A reputable personal injury lawyer may know the approximate value of your claim and possesses the negotiating skills to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
- Help With Paperwork: When you file a car accident claim, you must fill out a lot of complicated paperwork. An experienced lawyer can help you fill out the paperwork in an efficient manner and avoid making mistakes.
- Representation in Court: Walking into a courtroom can be quite nerve-wracking. If you have to go to court, it may be very comforting to know that a skilled Milwaukee personal injury lawyer has fully prepared your case for court.
At Hickey & Turim, S.C., we understand how difficult it is to be involved in a car accident. We want to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Our personal injury lawyers have experience with car accidents but other personal injuries, such as Social Host Liability and more.
There is no better time than the present to hire a lawyer to handle your car accident lawsuit. If you are searching for an experienced Milwaukee personal injury lawyer, contact Hickey & Turim, S.C. today.
Wisconsin Personal Injury Law FAQs
If you’ve been hurt at the fault of another, then you’re probably considering pursuing a personal injury lawsuit. While a Milwaukee personal injury lawyer can help you every step of the way throughout your case, you might still have questions going in.
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about personal injury law.
What is My Case Worth?
Without an experienced personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee to evaluate your case, there is no real way of knowing just how much your case is worth. There are numerous factors that could affect your settlement such as medical bills, time off of work, pain and suffering, and so much more. The best way to figure out how much your case is estimated to be worth is by contacting your personal injury law attorney.
What Should I Do After My Injury Accident?
It’s important to have as much detail about the event as possible so, if you can, take lots of photos and make note of any witnesses. You’ll also want to accept or seek out any medical attention following your injury and follow the instructions of your medical care provider thoroughly. You’ll then want to contact your Milwaukee personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Will There Be a Trial?
Most of the time, personal injury cases are settled pretrial, and the plaintiff won’t ever have to show up in court. However, there are certain instances in which going to trial might be a possibility. Commonly, a trial will take place if there is no settlement offered, or if the settlement isn’t accepted. A settlement doesn’t have to be accepted by the plaintiff, especially if it is deemed to be an inadequate amount. Other cases that go to trial could do so because of disputes over damage or liability claims. Of course, the other reason you could go to trial for your personal injury case is if you want to.
How Long Do I Have to File My Suit?
The deadline for filing your personal injury lawsuit will depend on your state. Each state has a statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits, and could be anywhere from a year to three years. Contacting your personal injury lawyer serving Milwaukee as soon as possible after your injury is the best way to avoid missing any deadlines.
What Should I Expect When Meeting My Lawyer?
Your personal injury attorney is there to help you with your case, which means they will need to know as much about the case, with as much detail as possible. This typically means that your attorney will ask you questions about your injury and the circumstances that led up to it. It’s important to recall as much about the event as you can during this meeting. If you need to write the events down beforehand so you don’t forget them, or to help you narrow down a timeline, it’s a good idea to do so. That includes what you were doing, how you sustained the injury, what happened after the incident, and any medical treatments you received for said injury.
When it comes to your health and wellbeing, you don’t want to take any chances. Contact a qualified and reputable Milwaukee personal injury lawyer at Hickey & Turim today to get the compensation you deserve.
A Quick Settlement May Not Be a Fair Settlement
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you may be relieved to find out that the other party’s insurance company is offering you a financial settlement. However, before accepting that settlement, you need to talk to an experienced auto accident attorney to help you determine if the settlement is fair.
It’s Often Too Early to Know
Assessing a situation where you may have been injured takes some time. Even if you don’t appear to be injured or the injuries appear to be minor, unexpected complications may arise that will create long-term pain, disability, or require further treatment. A few days after the accident, medical treatment is rarely over. In the case of serious injuries, and until all treatment is done, there is no way to know what the total cost of medical care may be. Nerve damage, spinal complications, or any number of other problems or symptoms may become apparent later.
Insurance Companies Are Motivated to Settle Quickly
An insurance company’s primary motivation is to settle claims quickly, but at minimal cost. If an offer seems to be incredibly generous, the odds are you haven’t thought about all the possible costs that you may experience in the future as a result of the accident.
Auto accident cases with significant injury, or ones involving commercial vehicles, are different than simple accidents that only result in property damage. Insurance companies receive a public relations benefit from settling small claims quickly, because there are so many of them and the results are fairly easy to determine. However, when personal injury is involved, the awards increase in size very quickly, and saving a few thousand dollars per case adds up.
An Attorney Can Help You Understand Your Rights
Personal injury law varies widely from state to state and can vary even based on what kinds of vehicles were involved. Personal injury lawyers rely not only on their legal training but on their experience in working on numerous cases to help determine what amounts are reasonable. They can also help you avoid forgetting about expenses you might be entitled to recover. Insurance companies have no motivation to help you understand these matters; they want to get you to sign a settlement for as low an amount as they can.
Speaking with a personal injury lawyer can help give you peace of mind. It’s important to know whether you’re receiving a fair settlement when you’ve been through the stress of being involved in a car accident.