If you were hurt in a car accident, you may want to speak to a Milwaukee personal injury lawyer from Hickey & Turim, S.C. Our attorneys have helped car accident victims obtain compensation for decades and are ready to assist you. As a family-owned firm, we’re dedicated to serving communities in and around Milwaukee.
What to Do After a Car Accident
It’s perfectly normal to feel a little disturbed or upset after a car accident. However, after you regain your composure, and if you are able, try to take some of the following steps:
- Take Photos: If you are physically able, take a few photos of the damage to your vehicle, your injuries, and the accident scene. These photos could help a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee respects prove how the accident happened and how severe the immediate damages were.
- Call the Police: When police arrive to the accident scene, they should make a detailed report of the accident. This includes important information, such as what happened, who was involved, and who might be at fault. This report could help you obtain fair compensation for your injuries.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there were any bystanders around at the time of the accident, it may be a good idea to get their names and contact information. Your Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may call them to testify on your behalf in court.
- Seek Medical Care: Even if you don’t think you were badly injured, you should still seek medical care as soon as possible. Some car accident injuries can be difficult to detect right away. If you neglect to get medical care immediately, the insurance company might try to argue that you weren’t really hurt.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents occur every day and they can result in many kinds of injuries. Some injuries are fairly minor while others are life-threatening. A Milwaukee personal injury lawyer from Hickey & Turim, S.C. has represented car accident victims with several types of injuries, including:
- Head Injuries: Drivers or passengers who hit their head against the dashboard, windows, or steering wheel during a car accident can suffer head injuries. These injuries can lead to serious problems, like hearing loss, cognitive issues, vision loss, and skull fractures. If you suffered a head injury, you may need to undergo surgery and rehabilitation.
- Whiplash: If the neck is moved suddenly during a car accident, it can cause damage to the surrounding ligaments and muscles. Individuals who suffer whiplash may experience pain in the neck, back and arm, dizziness, and stiffness in the neck.
- Bruises and Lacerations: A personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee WI may have also represented car accidents victims who suffered bruises and lacerations. Loose objects in a car, such as cell phones and mugs, can fly around the interior during a collision and hit the body. While some of these scrapes and cuts are minor, others could be severe and may require extra medical care.
- Arm and Leg Injuries: If a passenger is thrown against the car door during a side impact, it can lead to several injuries, including bruises, broken bones and sprains.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations to file a car accident lawsuit is three years. In order to recover compensation for your injuries, you must file a claim within that timeframe. That is why it is important to talk to an experienced Milwaukee personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
A Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may get started on your case right away. Your lawyer may help you gather the necessary evidence, talk to witnesses and negotiate with insurance companies. The sooner you begin the claim process, the sooner you can obtain the compensation you deserve.
What Damages Can I Claim?
If you were injured in a car accident, a Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may help you recover several types of damages, including:
- Past and Future Medical Bills: Whether you had stitches or major surgery, you may be able to recover compensation for medical bills related to your car accident injuries. Remember to obtain copies of these medical bills from your doctor.
- Lost Wages: Some car accident injuries are severe enough that they require you to take time off from work. If you file a claim, you might be able to get compensated for lost wages. If your injuries prevent you from returning to your job in the future, you may receive additional compensation for that.
- Pain and Suffering: If your injuries lead to additional pain and suffering, your Milwaukee personal injury lawyer may help you obtain compensation.
Why It May Be Important to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
It is possible to file a car accident lawsuit on your own. However, it is often recommended to speak with a Milwaukee personal injury lawyer before making any decisions. A car accident lawsuit can be quite complex, and it is easy to make mistakes along the way. Here are a few benefits of hiring a lawyer for counsel:
- Fair Compensation: A reputable personal injury lawyer may know the approximate value of your claim and possesses the negotiating skills to get you fair compensation for your injuries.
- Help With Paperwork: When you file a car accident claim, you must fill out a lot of complicated paperwork. An experienced lawyer can help you fill out the paperwork in an efficient manner and avoid making mistakes.
- Representation in Court: Walking into a courtroom can be quite nerve-wracking. If you have to go to court, it may be very comforting to know that a skilled Milwaukee personal injury lawyer has fully prepared your case for court.
At Hickey & Turim, S.C., we understand how difficult it is to be involved in a car accident. We want to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
There is no better time than the present to hire a lawyer to handle your car accident lawsuit. If you are searching for an experienced Milwaukee personal injury lawyer, contact Hickey & Turim, S.C. at (262) 797-6677.