A personal injury lawyer Brookfield, WI relies on knows that slip and fall accidents can be devastating. While you may have a doctor examining you to make sure your injuries do not get worse, getting injured from a slip and fall accident can overhaul your life. You may have fractured your hip bone or you may have injured your head when you hit the ground. In any case, you should reach out to your attorney to see how they can represent you during your recovery process. Getting injured in an accident can be incredibly lonely and you may feel that this is your burden to take on without help. However, a trusted attorney from Hickey & Turim, SC knows that you do not have to go through this alone.
So let’s take a moment to talk about the type of personal injury cases that might require a personal injury lawyer in Brookfield, WI. First up his motor vehicle accidents, every year millions of people are injured and sometimes they die in motor vehicle accidents. You can be injured in a motor vehicle accident as a driver, passenger or pedestrian and you may be entitled to monetary compensation for your personal injuries and financial loss.
Next on the list is medical malpractice which is negligence of doctors, nurses, hospitals and other medical professionals. Often it is severe and serious. There are many different types of medical malpractice, including misdiagnoses, improper treatment, surgical errors, medication mistakes, pharmacy errors, birth injuries, and failure to diagnose cancer or other serious health conditions. Medical my practice cases are going to be complex and are going to wire the use of the personal injury lawyer in Brookfield, WI background in malpractice.
Next on the list is wrongful death and as this term implies this term means that somebody has been wrongfully killed due to someone else’s carelessness. Most wrongful death lawsuits are going to come from car and truck crashes, nursing home neglect, medical malpractice, construct accidents and airplane accidents.
Workplace accident is when someone is injured or killed while working for their employer. Add generally dare not allow to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the employer and instead they must bring a claim under the Worker’s Compensation Act which requires employees to provide various benefits to their injured workers.
Premises liability is going to refer to accidents caused by dangerous or defective conditions on someone’s property. These accidents can occur anywhere from commercial properties like grocery stores and restaurants to the neighbor’s home or a public or private swimming hole. A wide range of defective or dangerous conditions can give rise to premise liability claims, ranging from falling down a staircase because of a missing hand railing or tripping over an obstacle to slipping on a spill. When you are injured due to premises liability you need to ensure that you document the dangerous or defective condition as soon after the accident as possible.
Products liability is dangerous and defective products can cause serious injury in the home, public places or at work. Oftentimes these products are improperly labeled and improper warnings and operation manuals may lead to injuries. Examples of lungful products can include dangerous drugs, food, consumer-products and children’s products. Vehicle parts that are defective, medical devices, toxic materials and chemicals all count as well.
Furthermore there are a handful of other types of personal injury cases that you may encounter in your lifetime. You might find nursing home abuse or neglect is extremely common, aviation and boating accidents are other common ways to be injured, dog bites are so common that many states have laws regarding dog bite injuries. Brain injuries, birth injuries, burn injuries and spinal cord injuries along with other catastrophic accidents and injuries, food poisoning as well as asbestos poisoning and mesothelioma might lead you to find and work with personal injury lawyers as well.
What will you need to do when filing a slip and fall injury claim?
The first thing an attorney will probably ask you is how the accident occurred. They will want to know if you were partially at fault for the accident and who the defendant in this case will be. For example, were you eating at a restaurant and slipped on a puddle that a waiter spilled? Or were you at a convenience store and tripped over broken steps? Identify how the accident occurred and who the defendant is. You will also need:
- To gather evidence. A Brookfield, Wisconsin personal injury attorney can help ensure you have evidence for your claim. This could be video footage from the property or a statement from a witness who saw the accident happen.
- Know what the statute of limitations is. This will be different in different states. In Wisconsin, you usually have three years from the time of the accident to file your case.
- To know if you were partially at fault. This is not uncommon. In Wisconsin, you need to be less than 51% at fault so that you can recover some amount of damages for your injuries after an accident. Expect to have your compensation reduced if you are found to be partially at fault.
- To prepare for a settlement. Speak openly with your attorney about what you may be able to expect when receiving a settlement. Insurance agents want to make sure their company is spending as little as possible. If the number they give you is not fair, discuss the possibility of going to court with your attorney.
To see how a personal injury lawyer in Brookfield, Wisconsin from Hickey & Turim, SC can help you, reach out to us now.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you want to pursue an injury case, it is important to work with a personal injury lawyer Brookfield, WI residents trust. Personal injury cases can have a lot of complexities, you will want someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side from our firm Hickey & Turim, SC. However, with so many different lawyers out there, it can be tricky to select the right one.
Here are a few things you should look for in a personal injury lawyer.
- Specialize in personal injury lawyer. First and foremost, you will want to work with a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law cases, like car crashes, medical malpractice and slip and fall accidents. While some lawyers have a general practice that touches on several areas of law, it may be in your best interest to hire a lawyer who only focuses on personal injury cases. You may have a better chance of a successful outcome this way.
- Have experience with cases similar to yours. Since personal injury is such a broad area of law, not all personal injury lawyers may not have experience with your specific type of case. For the best possible outcome, try to select a lawyer who has experience with your specific type of personal injury case. For example, if you suffered harm while under a medical professional’s care, you will want to work with a medical malpractice lawyer rather than one who specializes in car accident cases.
- Possess strong negotiation skills. One of the most important aspects of being a Brookfield WI personal injury lawyer is negotiating with the insurance company. Insurance companies care about the bottom line first and are not looking out for your best interests. That is why it is important to choose a lawyer who possesses excellent negotiation skills. He or she should not feel intimidated by the insurance company and work hard to get you the settlement you deserve.
- Have trial experience. Most of the time, personal injury cases get settled out of court. However, if the insurance company will not offer you a fair settlement, it may be in your best interest to go to trial. In this situation, it is essential to work with a lawyer who has plenty of trail experience. Your lawyer should feel confident to present your case in front of a judge and jury.
- Possess good communication skills. In order to provide you with good legal representation, your lawyer must communicate well. He or she should be able to explain legal jargon in language you can understand and keep you up to date on new developments in your case. You never want your lawyer to make you feel in the dark.
- Have compassion. Sustaining injuries in an accident can be quite traumatic, so it is good to have a Brookfield, WI personal injury lawyer who is compassionate. He or she should recognize that you’ve been through a rough time and work hard to get you the justice you deserve.
How can a personal injury lawyer help?
If you or someone you care about has been injured because of someone else’s negligence, it may be in your best interest to discuss your situation with a Brookfield, WI personal injury lawyer in your area. A lawyer can inform you about your rights and be objectivity to your case. They will ask you several questions to learn more about the accident. It is essential that you speak truthfully and in as much detail as possible. A lawyer can help you see the bigger picture more clearly and how you can move forward with your case. They can also answer your questions about your case and what you can expect from having a lawyer on your team.
How do I know if a personal injury lawyer is good?
You should look for someone experienced. Lawyers tend to be specialists or generalists. To ensure that you get the care you need, seek out someone with the personal injury specialty. They will be able to understand the laws better than someone who is only a general law lawyer. Not only should they have the specialty, but they should also have a good success rate. If the lawyer you are talking to only wins some of their cases, then you should consider looking for another lawyer. They should also have some trial experience, even if they think your case won’t go to court.
How do I hire a personal injury lawyer?
When you go to seek out a Brookfield personal injury lawyer, you need to know how to hire them. The very first step you should do is to research the lawyers in your area. Make a list of lawyers and then start calling to set up a consultation. A consultation is going to allow you to interview your potential candidates. From there you can narrow down your list to find the right lawyer for you. Take your time to find a lawyer that you get along with, and that aligns with your beliefs and needs. Once you find the lawyer you feel is the best for you, then you are set to start the process of your case.
How do I know a personal injury lawyer is necessary?
Regardless of your injuries, seek out a lawyer. Even the smallest of accidents can lead to a variety of damages. While there are no specific guidelines as to when you have to hire a lawyer as opposed to not, it can never hurt to speak to a lawyer if you have been hurt by someone else’s negligence. If you are seeking compensation, you should speak to a lawyer as soon as possible. The insurance companies will try to find a way to ensure that you don’t get the compensation you deserve, and will try to lowball you. A lawyer can help ensure that you get the compensation for your injuries you deserve.
How can I avoid mistakes in my case?
When it comes to avoiding mistakes, consult your lawyer. They will be able to tell you what you should avoid, and can help ensure that any paperwork that is needed has everything filled out correctly. They will often also suggest staying off social media. A good lawyer will also advise that you do not talk to the insurance companies without them present. If you have any more questions about how a Brookfield personal injury lawyer can help you don’t hesitate to reach out to Hickey & Turim, SC for more information.