A Car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI Victims Trusts
A good car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI trusts knows that a car accident can happen to anyone, anytime, and anywhere. Even the most attentive drivers could be involved in a crash. According to some risk analysts, the average driver should expect to be involved in three to four car accidents during their life. Many of these will not be severe and involve minor damage to the vehicle.
However, some could result in extensive physical injury or even death. In truth, you cannot control what other drivers do. What you can control is what happens next if a negligent driver’s actions cause you harm. If you have been injured because of another driver’s wrongful actions, you can and should talk with a car accident lawyer serving Milwaukee, WI, as soon as possible.
It may be in your best interest to contact the top car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI offers from Hickey & Turim, S.C. Our attorneys have helped thousands of victims recover damages from those responsible for their injuries.
Contact a Milwaukee car accident lawyer if a careless driver has seriously injured you to find out how we can help. Please make an appointment for a free consultation with one of our attorneys. In the meantime, it’s vital to protect your rights.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI trusts represent many different car accident victims. While some of these accidents are caused by unforeseen weather conditions, many result from driver error. Check out our Tips for Avoiding Rear-End Collisions
Let’s take a closer look at some of the common causes of car accidents a Milwaukee car accident lawyer might see:
- Speeding: If a driver has to be somewhere at a specific time and is running late, they may drive above the speed limit. Unfortunately, speeding can slow down a driver’s reaction time and increase the risk of an accident. It’s essential for drivers to obey all speed limits, no matter how rushed they are.
- Drunk Driving: A car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, also represents individuals who are the victims of drunk driving accidents. Drunk driving is illegal, and the victims of these accidents may suffer from severe injuries.
- Distracted Driving: Being distracted can also cause drivers to get into car accidents. For example, if a driver is writing a text message, they may take their eyes off the road for a minute and cause an accident. To avoid accidents, drivers need to avoid distractions and always keep their focus on the road.
- Tailgating: Car accidents can also occur if a person drives too closely behind the vehicle in front of them. If the vehicle in front hits the brakes suddenly, the other driver can collide with the vehicle. To avoid accidents, drivers may want to make sure they are several feet behind the vehicle in front of them.
Things to Avoid After an Automobile Crash
Immediately after an auto accident, you should contact the police, get medical attention, notify your insurance company, and talk to a car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI. But here is a list of things that you should not do:
- Leave the location. Anyone involved in an auto accident that resulted in a severe injury, a fatality, or significant property damage must stay at the scene and notify a police officer.
- Neglect to get a copy of the police report. A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI drivers, recommend you hire will need to see the report. It will contain a lot of important information, including contact information for the negligent driver and witnesses. It should also have notes about conditions at the time of the accident and the investigating police officer’s conclusions.
- Neglect to get evidence from the collision scene. Use your phone or a camera to take photographs of the accident. If possible, photograph all the vehicles involved, with clear images of the damage. Get witness names, videotape them using your phone if possible. Ask them to explain how the accident happened. If you can’t videotape them, request the bystanders to write a note about what they witnessed. They must do it while on the scene because if they say they will do it later, they may change their minds, or their recollection may not be accurate. Save your documentation to share with a car accident lawyer.
- Apologize or accept blame for the accident. It’s very easy to see someone’s damaged vehicle or injuries and say, “I’m so sorry!” However, the negligent driver’s insurance company can use your kindness against you. Never apologize. When speaking with the investigating police officer, state only facts that you know, and do not say anything that can be misconstrued.
- Discuss the accident with the at-fault insurance company’s adjuster. Though they may appear friendly, they’re looking out for their employer, not you. They will want to record your conversation with them; don’t permit them unless your attorney authorizes it. When you hire a car accident lawyer, they can talk to the insurance company on your behalf. Our attorneys are very experienced in communicating with insurance companies and other parties. They know what they are legally required to do while protecting your rights.
How Much Will My Settlement Be?
If you plan to file an accident claim against the driver who hit your vehicle, you are likely wondering how much your settlement will be. This depends on many factors, such as the cost of your medical bills, lost wages, and vehicle damage.
It may be in your best interest to speak to a qualified car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI respects about how much money you should expect to get in a settlement. A car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, counts on may review all the factors in your case and estimate the approximate value of your claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
The statute of limitations gives accident victims a timeframe in which they may file a claim. After that time has passed, you lose the right to file a claim and seek compensation. For this reason, it may be in your best interest to consult with a car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
How You Can Pursue Monetary Compensation After a Car Accident
Depending on the state your vehicle is registered and insured in will depend on the type of claim you will file, which a car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI can assist you with. For example, in no-fault states, you would file a no-fault claim for personal injury protection. These benefits will be available to you regardless of who caused the accident. An injury attorney can help you to file this claim to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible and that you recover maximum benefits.
If another driver was acting negligently and caused the crash, you may be able to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against him or her. Examples of negligence include:
- Distracted driving
- Lane changing
- Failure to yield
- Driving under the influence
- Failing to obey traffic signals
- Weather conditions
- Road conditions
- Faulty parts
It may be possible for multiple causes to be factored into the accident. For instance, a car accident lawyer might uncover that the driver was under the influence of alcohol while browsing through social media; thereby, they ran a red light which caused the crash. It could also be possible that there are multiple parties involved. If this is true, lawyers will work hard to identify all negligent parties and ensure they accept responsibility for their actions.
When You Are Partially At Fault
Your fault could be factored into the amount of compensation you receive. Depending on the state you live in, victims could be barred from recovering anything if found to be more than 50% at fault. Anything less than this might allow you to recover a portion of damages depending on the amount of fault assigned to you. A good car accident lawyer serving Milwaukee, WI, can help protect your rights and fight back against an insurance company who may be trying to blame you to reduce the amount of the payout.
Turn to Hickey & Turim for Honest, Reliable Legal Representation
Not all lawyers, or law firms, are created equal. Regardless of what happened or how complex your case might be, it would be best if you chose an experienced car accident lawyer to represent you. In doing so, you can ensure you get maximum damages for all of your medical costs, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
If you are ready to learn about your legal rights and options, get started today by scheduling a case review with an injury attorney.
Call a Car Accident Lawyer Milwaukee, WI Offers
This may be very important to do, as a lawyer can protect your rights and help you recover damages. Speak to an experienced attorney today to learn your legal options and if you have grounds for a lawsuit. Contact Hickey & Turim, S.C. to speak with a car accident lawyer victims trust.
Pregnant and Injured – Practical Advice to Take After a Car Accident
Expecting a baby can be one of the most exciting and happy times of a woman’s life. Planning for your baby and discussing all of your hopes and dreams for your child should be wonderful. However, it also naturally comes with a fair share of fears: your baby’s health, your ability as a parent, and money. Now, you have been injured in a car accident, and you are worried about the safety of your most precious cargo. It would be best if you had expert help and advice quickly. What steps should you take if you are pregnant and injured in a car accident?
Seek Medical Attention
Do not take any chances on your or your baby’s well-being. Call emergency services or your OB/GYN immediately. Approximately 170,000 crashes each year involve pregnant women. Of those, around 1,500-5,000 result in loss of life to the fetus. Even if you don’t believe you hit your abdomen or even if you don’t feel or see any symptoms of a problem immediately, you should get checked anyway. It could be up to 7 days before symptoms from a car crash are evident. Some potential risks to the baby include:
- Placental abruptions – where the placenta separates from the uterus
- Hypovolemia- this is maternal shock when the mother suffers blood loss
- Direct fetal injury – when the seatbelt, steering wheel, or other impact caused direct damage to the unborn child
Wait to Settle
It is best to wait until your child’s birth before settling with insurance or filing suit to assess any unknown impacts due to the accident. The psychological stress of a mother who is a victim of a car wreck can impact the unborn child’s development, resulting in low birth weight. It is very common for pregnant women in vehicular accidents to need more frequent monitoring, requiring more doctor appointments that result in additional medical bills or lost wages. Be aware that there are statutes of limitations that vary from state to state, as well.
Seek Legal Advice
Expectant mothers should know their rights under the law. Liability laws vary between states, as do the time limits to file. You are likely owed compensations that you are not even aware of. When in doubt, seek professional legal advice before taking any action. Consult an experienced auto injury attorney. They can advise you on liabilities, options, and the appropriate steps to take when you’ve been injured while pregnant.
Car Accident Lawyer Resources:
Questions Answered: Managing Accidents Involving Multiple Vehicles
Accident victims will be impacted physically and financially following a multi-vehicle accident, making the assistance of our car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI recommends imperative. Although you may believe that filing a claim with the insurance company is relatively straightforward, know that the process can be incredibly complicated, especially when multiple vehicles are involved. It’s only natural that you will have many questions regarding your case as a victim suffering injuries. Hickey & Turim, S.C. will stand by your side during this incredibly challenging time to answer the many questions you have, represent your best interests, and ensure that you receive results.
How do accidents involving multiple vehicles occur?
When multiple vehicles are involved in a collision, the moments to follow are sure to be confusing and chaotic. It can be challenging to make sense of what has happened, especially when there is so much devastation to include injury and property damage. Sometimes the impact of such accidents can result in severe injuries and, in the most devastating of situations, fatality. Know that one of the most common reasons for multi-car collisions is pile-ups. This can be surmised as a chain reaction where multiple vehicles collide with one another, often from behind.
How is the responsible party identified in accidents that involve multiple parties?
As stated above, when multiple people are involved, the accident scene can be incredibly chaotic. It can be challenging to know the catalyst for the accident. As a result, identifying the liable party can quickly become complicated. Our Milwaukee, Wisconsin car accident lawyer shares that determining the at-fault party will require a professional. Our team will work closely with clients by reviewing and investigating the situation to identify the party or parties who may be held responsible.
If I do not believe I have sustained an injury, why is medical care so critical?
Medical care is imperative in the wake of a car accident. Even if you do not believe you have been injured, seeking medical care can ensure that you do not have any underlying conditions that you are not aware of. Know that when an accident happens, the brain responds with a rush of adrenaline. As a result, victims may not realize that they are injured. It’s not uncommon for victims to experience delayed responses to pain, making it critical that you seek medical care from a doctor. In doing so, you can receive the treatment you deserve and obtain proof that your injuries resulted from the accident you were in.
The results of a car accident bring forth significant consequences. Not only will the injuries impact a person’s life, but they will also result in unforeseen medical expenses and, at times, excruciating pain. Such accidents can forever change a victim’s future, and as a result, they may be looking at lifelong impairments. When multiple vehicles are involved, it can be challenging to determine who the responsible party is. Contacting our team at Hickey & Turim, S.C. should be one of the first steps taken.
Our experienced professionals will identify the responsible parties by speaking with you and carefully reviewing your case. We then will assist you in taking the necessary action towards a favorable outcome. With our team of experienced and dedicated professionals, you can have confidence in knowing that your case is being managed in the best way possible. To learn more about our firm and the services we provide, schedule a consultation with our Milwaukee, Wisconsin car accident lawyer before it’s too late.