Car Accident Lawyer Milwaukee, WI
Car Accident Lawyer Milwaukee, WI
Injuries sustained due to a car accident can impact your life significantly. If you are searching for reliable legal assistance after an accident, do not wait to act and seek help. A skilled lawyer can help you recover what compensation that you are entitled to receive. Contact a trusted lawyer for more information about the legal services you can receive. Follow these steps if you have been in a car accident.
- Report the Accident
- Get Medical Attention
- Exchange Driver Information
- Take Photos of Accident Site
- How a Car Accident Can Change Your Life
Report the Accident
As soon as you can, call the police right away and let them know that you were in an accident. Inform them of the parties involved, your location if you can provide it, and other basic information that you can provide. If someone has suffered a serious injury or if a large amount of property was significantly damaged, you are required by law to call the police, as a car accident lawyer like one at Hickey & Turim, SC can explain.
Get Medical Attention
If you have suffered any injuries, get treated right away. If a first responder wants to evaluate your condition, allow them to so that they can create a report. This will serve as your evidence so that you can include it in your claim. You may also have delayed injuries, so going to a doctor can help you get the urgent treatment you need to recover.
Exchange Driver Information
Make sure to exchange contact information with the other driver and any other parties involved. Exchange your name, address, insurance information, and vehicle information, such as the make and model. Give this information to the lawyer as well. If they are not cooperative, ask a lawyer for help and they can explain your next steps.
Take Photos of Accident Site
You should take plenty of photos of the accident site. Take photos of the damage to your vehicle and details such as deployed airbags, skid marks on the ground, or objects that were struck. Have someone take the photos if you are not able to yourself.
Handling a car accident claim is far from easy, so when you need legal help make sure to request a consultation with a skilled lawyer. They will be able to protect your legal rights and handle the complex legal tasks so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries. Schedule a consultation with a lawyer like one at Hickey & Turim, SC now.
How a Car Accident Can Change Your Life
As a Milwaukee car accident lawyer can confirm, a lot of people get injured in car accidents every year in Wisconsin. Car accidents are traumatic events that can leave a lasting impact on victims. Here are a few ways a car accident can change your life.
- Chronic pain. While some car accident injuries, like minor cuts and bruises, can heal fairly quickly, other injuries may require a long recovery time. Certain injuries, like broken bones and back injuries, may cause chronic pain. As a result, you may have difficulty completing everyday activities and even getting out of bed.
- Career trouble. Depending on what field of work you are in, an injury from a car accident could severely harm your career. If you suffer a disability, you might not be able to return to work at all. The career you worked so hard to build can be over.
- Emotional distress. Many people focus on the physical injuries when it comes to car accidents. However, these accidents can also affect your emotional health. Accident victims can suffer anxiety, depression and even post-traumatic stress disorder. You may have difficulty participating in activities you once enjoyed, which can lower your quality of life.
- Strained relationships. Being in a car accident can cause a great deal of stress, which may impact your relationships with your family and friends. You may feel angry about the accident and take out your frustrations on your loved ones. As a Milwaukee car accident lawyer can confirm, accident victims may also isolate themselves from others.
- No driving. If you suffered a severe injury, you might not be able to drive for a while. The psychological impact of a car accident may also prevent you from getting behind the wheel. You may fear getting into an accident again. This can make it difficult to get around.
- Higher car insurance premiums. Even if you are found just partially at-fault in a car accident, your insurance rates could go up. You may end up paying hundreds more a year, which can hurt your pocketbook.
- Legal battles. While some car accident claims are fairly simple and get resolved quickly, others are more complex. If the insurance company is not willing to offer a fair settlement, you may have to go to court, which can drag the process on and cause you more stress.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. Enjoying life can be quite challenging following a car accident. Your injury may prevent you from partaking in the hobbies and activities you once enjoyed. This can be very difficult for you. Instead of enjoying things you once loved, you may have to stay home.
- Financial trouble. If it takes a while to resolve your accident claim, you may have to take care of some of your expenses yourself, such as hospital bills and medications. This can get expensive and have a negative effect on your finances.
Steps to Take: Pursuing Compensation for the Harm You’ve Suffered
Once you’ve received medical attention and gathered evidence from the scene of your crash, it’s time to discuss your legal options with an experienced Milwaukee, WI car accident lawyer at Hickey & Turim, SC. If another’s negligence, recklessness, or intentionally dangerous conduct contributed to the cause(s) of your harm, you shouldn’t have to shoulder accident-related costs that they are rightfully responsible for.
One: Consult with an Experienced Attorney
It may seem obvious but the first thing you’re going to want to do when pursuing compensation for your crash-related harm involves speaking with an experienced Milwaukee car accident lawyer about your situation. Taking an hour or two to attend a risk-free consultation will allow you to better understand your rights, your opportunities to pursue compensation, and the relative strengths and weaknesses of your case.
You can’t pursue the maximum value of any compensation you’re owed without an effective strategy in place. Meeting with an attorney will help you to begin developing that strategy so that you have the best possible chance of receiving what you’re rightfully owed.
Two: File Insurance Claims
As you’ve suffered injuries due to your crash and you likely sustained property damage, you’ll need to file at least one claim with an insurance company. It’s generally a very good idea to let an attorney field these communications on your behalf so that you don’t unintentionally say something that compromises the value of your case. Insurance industry professionals are trained to devalue and reject claims, when possible, and you don’t want to get caught out.
Three: Apply for Workers’ Comp Benefits (If Applicable)
You may also be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits if you were engaging in work-related activity at the time of your crash and you’re covered by your employer’s workers’ comp insurance. Most workers in the U.S. are covered by workers’ comp insurance but the majority of independent contractors, workers for unusually small companies, and workers in select specialty industries are not.
If it’s possible that you’re eligible for these benefits, act quickly. The application process for workers’ comp benefits is particularly time-sensitive and you’ll be barred from receiving this compensation if you don’t take certain steps within an extremely limited timeframe.
Four: File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If another’s negligence, intentionally dangerous conduct, or recklessness caused your crash, you’ll likely have strong grounds upon which to file legal action in civil court. If your case is successful, you could receive compensation awards for objective financial losses related to your accident (like medical bills) and subjective losses stemming from your injuries and the trauma you’ve experienced (like pain and suffering). The skilled legal team at Hickey & Turim, SC will do our utmost to maximize your financial recovery.
Five: Don’t Make Common Missteps
When accident injury victims attempt to DIY their cases, they rarely receive the full value of the compensation they’re owed. Allowing an experienced Milwaukee car accident lawyer to aggressively advocate on behalf of your interests will help to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve due to what you’ve suffered and the circumstances that caused your harm.
Steps To Take Pursuing Compensation For The Harm You’ve Suffered Infographic
Milwaukee Car Accident Law Statistics
According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in one year, more than 580 people were killed in vehicle accidents in Nevada. This loss of life amounted to $828 million total in financial costs – approximately $8 million in medical expenses and $820 million in work loss costs.
Why should I call a car accident lawyer?
Hiring an experienced lawyer following a car accident can prevent you from falling into a messy legal aftermath as a victim, especially in critical or drastic car crashes with heavier, life-changing consequences. It is in your absolute best interest to call a Milwaukee, WI car accident lawyer shortly after a car accident so that you ultimately do not take any legal missteps that lead to unanticipated misfortunate outcomes. When you are a victim in this kind of hapless accident and face physical injury, you also absolutely deserve the best care and compensation and your lawyer can see through that.
How do I decide whether to hire a car accident lawyer?
Of course, in the most minor car accidents, cases can be straightforward, minimal, and simple. But there are also various situations you can find yourself in that put you in a vulnerable position. You should seriously consider a Milwaukee car accident lawyer if you sustained a physical injury. If you have extensive medical care, and the costs are concerning or straining, an attorney could help you find the best financial way forward. Insurance companies may be undervaluing your claims, and unfortunately these companies have employees specifically focused on how they can pay as little money as possible. A lawyer will rightfully fight for your fair compensation. You also simply have the right to an attorney following a car accident. The legal steps can just be outright overwhelming in some cases, and a legal representative will take away the stress of the process.
What if I was involved in a crash that caused pain and suffering?
It is very often that a person can report pain and suffering from a car accident. This means that a client will receive compensation for any emotional trauma in the present and future of their lives. More specifically, pain and suffering is defined as basically any emotional weight a victim will carry. When a charge for pain and suffering comes into the picture, it is important to closely observe the details of this accusation and make sure the process is treated fairly. It is important to take in both the financial and physical damages from the car and have an outside party moderate appropriate accusations of pain and suffering.
Is it possible to afford a car accident lawyer?
You want to receive the best legal outcome possible and fairest compensation as a victim, but it is hard to make sense of whether it is too expensive to hire a Milwaukee car accident lawyer to represent you. In other words, it’s natural to be concerned about hiring an attorney. Yet, Wisconsin law allows attorneys to work on a contingency fee basis. So you are not billed right away and you don’t have to be billed by the hour. Even when you consider an attorney’s fee after a car accident, you are far more likely to recover within a reasonable amount of time, and overall get your life back to normal. Overall, it’s in your best interest to contact a lawyer with a lot of car accident case experience.
What if the fault is not clearly established?
There are countless scenarios where one cannot exactly pinpoint the blame, even if both parties are at fault, how does one calculate which party was at more fault than the other? This is a complex case where it is strongly suggested that you consult with a car accident attorney. If if you are in an accident where you are struggling to prove to the insurance adjuster that you were not at fault, you need someone with legal experience to walk you through these steps. Saying something wrong to the adjuster can lead to a huge consequence. Fault ultimately determines who must pay for the damage, so it is crucial that the fault always be clearly defined and agreed upon by both parties.
Posted on July 18, 2022 @ 12:44 pm