A good car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI trusts knows that a car accident can happen to anyone, anytime, and anywhere. Even the most attentive drivers could be involved in a crash. According to some risk analysts, the average driver should expect to be involved in three to four car accidents during their life. Many of these will not be serious and involve minor damage to the vehicle.
However, some could result in extensive physical injury or even death. In truth, you cannot control what other drivers do. What you can control is what happens next in the event of a negligent driver causes you harm from an accident. If you have been injured because of another driver’s wrongful actions, you can and should talk with a car accident lawyer serving Milwaukee, WI as soon as possible.
It may be in your best interest to contact the top car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI offers from Hickey & Turim, S.C. Our attorneys have helped thousands of victims recover damages from those responsible for their injuries.
Contact a Milwaukee car accident lawyer if you’ve been seriously injured by a careless driver to find out how we can help. Make an appointment for a free consultation with one of our attorneys. In the meantime, it’s important to protect your rights.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI trusts represent many different car accident victims. While some of these accidents are caused by unforeseen weather conditions many are the result of drive error. Check out our Tips for Avoiding Rear-End Collisions
Let’s take a closer look at some of the common causes of car accidents a Milwaukee car accident lawyer might see:
- Speeding: If a driver has to be somewhere at a certain time and is running late, he or she may drive above the speed limit. Unfortunately, speeding can slow down a driver’s reaction time and increase the risk of an accident. It’s important for drivers to obey all speed limits, no matter how rushed they are.
- Drunk Driving: A car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI also represents individuals who are the victims of drunk driving accidents. Drunk driving is illegal and the victims of these accidents may suffer from very serious injuries.
- Distracted Driving: Being distracted can also cause drivers to get into car accidents. For example, if a driver is writing a text message, he or she may take his or her eyes off the road for a minute and cause an accident. To avoid accidents, it is important for drivers to avoid distractions and always keep their focus on the road.
- Tailgating: Car accidents can also occur if a person drives too closely behind the vehicle in front of him or her. If the vehicle in front hits the brakes suddenly, the other driver can collide into the vehicle. To avoid accidents, drivers may want to make sure they are several feet behind the vehicle in front of them.
Things to Avoid After an Automobile Crash
Immediately after an auto accident, you should contact the police, get medical attention, notify your insurance company, and talk to a car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI. But here is a list of things that you should not do:
- Leave the location. Anyone involved in an auto accident that resulted in a serious injury, a fatality, or major property damage must stay at the scene and notify a police officer.
- Neglect to get a copy of the police report. A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI drivers recommend you hire will need to see the report. It will contain a lot of important information, including contact information for the negligent driver, as well as witnesses. It should also have notes about conditions at the time of the accident and the investigating police officer’s conclusions.
- Neglect to get evidence from the collision scene. Use your phone or a camera to take photographs of the accident. If possible, photograph all the vehicles involved, with clear images of the damage. Get witness names, videotape them using your phone if possible. Ask them to explain how the accident happened. If you can’t videotape them, request the bystanders to write a note about what they witnessed. It’s important that they do it while on scene because if they say they will do it later, they may change their mind or their recollection may not be as accurate. Save your documentation to share with a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI motorists rate highly.
- Apologize or accept blame for the accident. It’s very easy to see someone’s damaged vehicle or injuries and say, “I’m so sorry!” However, the negligent driver’s insurance company can use your kindness against you. Never apologize. When speaking with the investigating police officer state only facts that you know, and do not say anything that can be misconstrued.
- Discuss the accident with the at fault insurance company’s adjuster. Though they may appear friendly, they’re looking out for their employer, not you. They will want to record your conversation with them; don’t give permission unless your attorney authorizes it. When you hire a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI residents choose under similar circumstances, he or she can talk to the insurance company. Our attorneys are very experienced in communicating with insurance companies and other parties. They know what they are legally required to do, while protecting your rights.
How Much Will My Settlement Be?
If you plan to file an accident claim against the driver who hit your vehicle, you are likely wondering how much your settlement will be. This depends on many factors, such as the cost of your medical bills, lost wages, and the damage to your vehicle.
It may be in your best interest to speak to a qualified car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI respects about how much money you should expect to get in a settlement. A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI counts on may review all the factors in your case and estimate the approximate value of your claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
The statute of limitations gives accident victims a timeframe in which they may file a claim. After that time has passed, you lose the right to file a claim and seek compensation. For this reason, it may be in your best interest to consult with a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI relies on as soon as possible.
How You Can Pursue Monetary Compensation After a Car Accident
Depending on the state your vehicle is registered and insured in will depend on the type of claim you will file, which a car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI can assist you with. For example, in no-fault states, you would file a no-fault claim for personal injury protection. These benefits will be available to you regardless of who caused the accident. An injury attorney can help you to file this claim to ensure the process goes as smooth as possible, and that you recover maximum benefits.
If another driver was acting negligently and caused the crash, you may be able to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against him or her. Examples of negligence include:
- Distracted driving
- Lane changing
- Failure to yield
- Driving under the influence
- Failing to obey traffic signals
- Weather conditions
- Road conditions
- Faulty parts
It may be possible for multiple causes to be factored into the accident. For instance, a car accident lawyer for Milwaukee, WI might uncover that the driver was under the influence of alcohol while they were browsing through social media; thereby, ran a red light which caused the crash. It could also be possible that there are multiple parties involved. If this is true, our Milwaukee, WI car accident lawyers will work hard to identify all negligent parties and ensure they accept responsibility for their actions.
When You Are Partially At Fault
Your own fault could be factored into the amount of compensation you receive. Depending on the state the crash occurred, you could be barred from recovering anything if you are found to be more than 50% at fault. Anything less than this might allow you to recover a portion of damages depending on the amount of fault assigned to you. A good car accident lawyer serving Milwaukee, WI can help to protect your rights and fight back against an insurance company who may be trying to blame you in order to reduce the amount of the payout.
Turn to Hickey & Turim for Honest, Reliable Legal Representation
Not all lawyers, or law firms, are created equal. Regardless of what happened or how complex your case might be, you should choose an experienced car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI trusts to represent you. In doing so, you can ensure you get maximum damages for all of your medical costs, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
If you are ready to learn about your legal rights and options, get started today by scheduling a case review with an injury attorney.
Call a Car Accident Lawyer Milwaukee, WI Offers
This may be very important to do, as a lawyer can protect your rights and help you recover your damages. Speak to an experienced attorney today to learn what your legal options are and if you have grounds for a lawsuit. Contact Hickey & Turim, S.C. to speak with a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI accident victims trust.
Pregnant and Injured – Practical Advice to Take After a Car Accident
Expecting a baby can be one of the most exciting and happy times of a woman’s life. Planning for your baby and discussing all of your hopes and dreams for your child should be wonderful. However, it also naturally comes with a fair share of fears: the health of your baby, your ability as a parent, money. Now, you have been injured in a car accident and you are worried about the safety of your most precious cargo. You need expert help and advice quickly. What steps should you take if you are pregnant and injured in a car accident?
Seek Medical Attention
Do not take any chances on your or your baby’s well-being. Call emergency services or your OB/GYN immediately. Approximately 170,000 crashes each year involve pregnant women. Of those, approximately 1500-5000 result in loss of life to the fetus. Even if you don’t believe you hit your abdomen or even if you don’t feel or see any symptoms of a problem immediately, you should get checked anyway. It could be up to 7 days before symptoms from a car crash are evident. Some potential risks to the baby include:
- Placental abruptions – where the placenta is separated from the uterus
- Hypovolemia- this is maternal shock when the mother suffers blood loss
- Direct fetal injury – when the seatbelt, steering wheel or other impact caused direct damage to the unborn child
Wait to Settle
It is best to wait until the birth of your child before settling with insurance or filing suit in order to assess any unknown impacts due to the accident. The psychological stress of a mother who is a victim of a car wreck can cause an impact on the unborn child’s development, resulting in low birth weight. It is very common for pregnant women in vehicular accidents to need more frequent monitoring, requiring more doctor appointments that could additional medical bills or result in loss of wages. Be aware that there are statutes of limitations that vary from state to state, as well.
Seek Legal Advice
Expectant mothers should know their rights under the law. Liability laws vary between states, as do the time limits to file. There are very likely compensations that you are due that you may not even be aware of. When in doubt, seek professional legal advice before taking any action. Consult an experienced auto injury attorney. They can advise you on liabilities, options and the appropriate steps to take when you’ve been injured while pregnant.
Car Accident Lawyer Resources: