After an auto accident, it may be in your best interest to contact a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI offers from Hickey & Turim, S.C. Our attorneys have helped thousands of victims recover damages from those responsible for their injuries.
Contact a Milwaukee car accident lawyer if you’ve been seriously injured by a careless driver to find out how we can help. Make an appointment for a free consultation with one of our attorneys. In the meantime, it’s important to protect your rights.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI trusts represents many different car accident victims. While some of these accidents are caused by unforeseen weather conditions many are the result of drive error. Let’s take a closer look at some of the common causes of car accidents a Milwaukee car accident lawyer might see:
- Speeding: If a driver has to be somewhere at a certain time and is running late, he or she may drive above the speed limit. Unfortunately, speeding can slow down a driver’s reaction time and increase the risk of an accident. It’s important for drivers to obey all speed limits, no matter how rushed they are.
- Drunk Driving: A car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI also represents individuals who are the victims of drunk driving accidents. Drunk driving is illegal and the victims of these accidents may suffer from very serious injuries.
- Distracted Driving: Being distracted can also cause drivers to get into car accidents. For example, if a driver is writing a text message, he or she may take his or her eyes off the road for a minute and cause an accident. To avoid accidents, it is important for drivers to avoid distractions and always keep their focus on the road.
- Tailgating: Car accidents can also occur if a person drives too closely behind the vehicle in front of him or her. If the vehicle in front hits the brakes suddenly, the other driver can collide into the vehicle. To avoid accidents, drivers may want to make sure they are several feet behind the vehicle in front of them.
Things to Avoid After an Automobile Crash
Immediately after an auto accident, you should contact the police, get medical attention, notify your insurance company, and talk to a car accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI. But here is a list of things that you should not do:
- Leave the location. Anyone involved in an auto accident that resulted in a serious injury, a fatality, or major property damage must stay at the scene and notify a police officer.
- Neglect to get a copy of the police report. A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI drivers recommend you hire will need to see the report. It will contain a lot of important information, including contact information for the negligent driver, as well as witnesses. It should also have notes about conditions at the time of the accident and the investigating police officer’s conclusions.
- Neglect to get evidence from the collision scene. Use your phone or a camera to take photographs of the accident. If possible, photograph all the vehicles involved, with clear images of the damage. Get witness names, videotape them using your phone if possible. Ask them to explain how the accident happened. If you can’t videotape them, request the bystanders to write a note about what they witnessed. It’s important that they do it while on scene because if they say they will do it later, they may change their mind or their recollection may not be as accurate. Save your documentation to share with a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI motorists rate highly.
- Apologize or accept blame for the accident. It’s very easy to see someone’s damaged vehicle or injuries and say, “I’m so sorry!” However, the negligent driver’s insurance company can use your kindness against you. Never apologize. When speaking with the investigating police officer state only facts that you know, and do not say anything that can be misconstrued.
- Discuss the accident with the at fault insurance company’s adjuster. Though they may appear friendly, they’re looking out for their employer, not you. They will want to record your conversation with them; don’t give permission unless your attorney authorizes it. When you hire a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI residents choose under similar circumstances, he or she can talk to the insurance company. Our attorneys are very experienced in communicating with insurance companies and other parties. They know what they are legally required to do, while protecting your rights.
How Much Will My Settlement Be?
If you plan to file an accident claim against the driver who hit your vehicle, you are likely wondering how much your settlement will be. This depends on many factors, such as the cost of your medical bills, lost wages, and the damage to your vehicle.
It may be in your best interest to speak to a qualified car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI respects about how much money you should expect to get in a settlement. A car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI counts on may review all the factors in your case and estimate the approximate value of your claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
The statute of limitations gives accident victims a timeframe in which they may file a claim. After that time has passed, you lose the right to file a claim and seek compensation. For this reason, it may be in your best interest to consult with a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI relies on as soon as possible.
Call a Car Accident Lawyer Milwaukee, WI Offers
This may be very important to do, as a lawyer can protect your rights and help you recover your damages. Speak to an experienced attorney today to learn what your legal options are and if you have grounds for a lawsuit. Contact Hickey & Turim, S.C. to speak with a car accident lawyer Milwaukee, WI accident victims trust.