If you fell off a ladder at work and got injured, you should speak to a ladder injury at work lawyer Milwaukee, WI residents trust. Falling off a ladder can result in serious injuries and you deserve to be compensation for that. A skilled lawyer can protect your legal rights and fight for the compensation you’re entitled to.
Common Causes of Ladder Falls
Ladders are commonly used in the manufacturing and construction industries. While they might look harmless enough, they can cause severe injuries when used incorrectly. Here are some common causes of ladders falls:
- Using the Wrong Ladder: Believe it or not, there is more than one type of ladder. Ladders come in various sizes and strength levels, and it’s important to choose the appropriate one for the job. For example, if you are climbing to a high height, you’ll want to use a ladder that allows an extra 7 to 10 feet to avoid having to use the highest step.
- Using the Ladder Incorrectly: A ladder isn’t a toy and should always be used the way the manufacturer intended. As a ladder injury at work lawyer in Milwaukee, WI can confirm, human error is one of the most common causes of ladder accidents. Workers who use ladders should always maintain three points of contact with the ladder and never try to reach for an object while on the ladder.
- Using Damaged Ladders: Just like anything else, ladders can become worn out and damaged after frequent use. Workers should never attempt to climb on damaged ladders because they can break and cause severe injuries. They should thoroughly inspect a ladder for damage before using it.
Common Injuries from Ladder Falls
Falling from a ladder is very dangerous and can result in serious injuries, including:
- Head Injuries: If a worker hits his or her head on the ground after falling from a ladder, he or she can sustain a traumatic brain injury. These injuries can cause headaches, swelling, seizures and other severe complications. They often require long-term rehabilitation and don’t allow workers to return to their job.
- Broken Bones: The impact of hitting the ground after falling off a ladder can lead to broken bones in the legs, arms and other body parts. Broken bones cause intense pain and can take a long time to recover from. If a bone is broken in more than one place, surgery may be required.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: As Milwaukee workers compensation lawyers can attest, ladder falls can also injure a person’s spine. Spinal cord injuries can severely limit mobility and even result in permanent paralysis.
If you suffered an injury after falling off a ladder at work, you should schedule a consultation with a ladder injury at work lawyer in Milwaukee, WI.