Bodily Injury Law Firm Milwaukee, WI
If you suffered a bodily injury during a car accident, you should speak to a lawyer from a bodily injury law firm Milwaukee, WI residents trust. You may be entitled to receive compensation. A lawyer can help you file a timely claim and protect your legal rights.
What to Do After Sustaining a Bodily Injury
It’s shocking to endure a bodily injury. However, it’s important to stay calm and take the necessary steps to ensure fair compensation.
- Contact the Police: After an accident that caused bodily injuries, you must call the police. They will come to the scene of the accident and file a report. The report will include important details about the accident, such as where and when it occurred and the names of everyone involved. It’s important to obtain a copy of this police report for your record. It will prevent the other party from changing their story later on.
- Speak to Witnesses: Were there any bystanders that saw the accident happen? If so, don’t hesitate to ask for their names and contact information before you leave. They can testify on your behalf and back up your version of the event.
- Take Photos: As a bodily injury law firm in Milwaukee, W can confirm, photos are one of the most important pieces of evidence you can have. Take a few shots of all the vehicles involved in the accident, skid marks on the road and traffic signals. If you have visible injuries, take photos of those as well.
- Get Medical Attention: No matter what kind of bodily injury you sustained, you should go to the emergency room as soon as possible. A doctor will perform a physical examination and perform other tests if necessary. Once the doctor diagnoses your injury, he or she will recommend the appropriate treatment. If you wait too long to see a doctor, your injury could get worse. The defendant’s insurance company may also try to argue that you aren’t as injured as you claim to be.
- Hire a Lawyer: Bodily injury cases can be very complex, so you want someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. A personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee, WI will help you gather the appropriate evidence and communicate with the insurance company on your behalf.
You should ensure that you understand that car accidents can cause injuries that are going to be pretty obvious such as shoulder dislocation or broken bones, however other injuries may take days to present themselves. Something as simple as a headache or back pain or whiplash may not manifest right away, or if it does manifest right away you may assume that it is something significant such as a headache but it could really be bleeding in the brain or something more serious. Furthermore you may feel fine with your pain receptors. You may not have realized how hard you hit your head or you may have another problem that can be related to your car accident. You need to seek care from your physician as soon as you realize something is off.
The most common type of car accident and the most damaging is going to be the rear end collision. The collision is behind the driver and passengers they are going to be entirely unprepared for impact which means they cannot brace themselves in a safe position which may lead to more severe injury once hit. A lot of injuries of this type are going to be common.
Depending on the speed and force of the collision you may have a serious head injury because you could hit your head on any number of areas that surround you in the vehicle and that can leave you with a concussion, lacerations or loss of consciousness or something worse.
Dizziness, sensitivity to light or sound, loss of balance and a general mental unease can be signs of head injuries. The most common injury from a rear end collision is going to be whiplash. However in rear end collisions that are extremely damaging, musculoskeletal injuries can occur. You may have been holding onto the steering with the point of the collision, and therefore you may suffer broken arms, wrist or hands. Some of the main symptoms of musculoskeletal injuries are pain, swelling, inflammation or tenderness and redness of the area that has been injured.
T-bone car accidents are by far the least common accident no matter what Hollywood would lead you to believe, however they are potentially the most deadly. T-bone collisions deliver force across less protective parts of the car, because typically you are being slammed in one of the sides of the car and the sides of the car are not meant to be with standing collisions such as the rear or front end of the car. Often times people who walk away from T-bone car accidents are considered extremely lucky. There are too many things that can happen as a result of a car accident in a T-bone collision secondly if somebody paralyzed, or worse. Victims are often tossed from side to side and could hit the windows or other items or even other passengers, which can lead to traumatic brain injuries, dislocations, broken bones and death.
Knowing what to do depends on the type of accident that you are in and how common that type of accident that you may be and it can help you to prepare for the worst. As always, if you have any questions, reach out to your bodily injury lawyer for answers.
Getting Compensation for Bodily Injuries
When you suffer a bodily injury from someone else’s negligence, you’re entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, loss of earning capacity and pain and suffering.
Schedule a consultation with a lawyer from The Law Offices of Hickey & Turim S.C. today.
Dedicated To Getting You Results