As the victim of an accident, you might have questions for a skilled personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI offers. Your rights should be protected, but if you aren’t aware of what they are, consulting an attorney may help you understand. At Hickey & Turim, our attorneys have fought for thousands of personal injury victims. Our legal team has an impressive record when it comes to recovering maximum damages for our clients.
Because every personal injury case is different, it may be best to meet with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your case. Contact us at Hickey & Turim to speak with a personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee WI. We offer a free case review, during which you can ask questions. Here are some common questions that we get from personal injury victims who are seeking legal representation.
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney
How much do you charge for a contingency fee?
- The majority of personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, rather than a flat fee or hourly charge.
- Attorneys who work for a contingency fee do not earn a fee unless they recover monetary damages on behalf of their client.
- Contingency fees are very often negotiable. The more likely your case will settle for a large amount of compensation, the more flexible the attorney may be when it comes to the amount of their contingency fee.
Will you charge me any fees or case costs if you cannot negotiate a fair settlement?
- Very often a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI victims hire will charge the client for costs that the attorney has paid during the case.
- These costs might include court fees for filing the claim, long distance phone calls, medical expert consultation fees, etc. Be clear about what you will be responsible for paying, and how much it’s likely to be.
Have you tried any personal injury cases similar to mine? If so, what was the outcome?
- Of course, you want a seasoned personal injury attorney to try your case. But that’s not always possible, especially if the anticipated settlement amount is not extremely high. Feel free to meet with attorneys until you find an experienced personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI provides that feels like a good fit.
Do you have the capacity to begin working on my case immediately?
- Very often, the busiest lawyers juggle a number of cases simultaneously. That can put your case on the back burner. The process of acquiring evidence for a personal injury case can be time sensitive. Choose a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI residents respect for starting and settling cases in a timely manner.
- The longer it takes an attorney to begin your case, the longer it will take to resolve. In the meantime, medical bills and other costs are likely adding up fast.
When you need a personal injury lawyer, you want one who may help to protect your rights and get positive results quickly. Call Hickey & Turim today for a free case review with a personal injury Attorney Milwaukee WI accident victims know they can rely on.
What Is Personal Injury Law?
In Milwaukee, WI, when a personal injury lawyer represents a client who was injured by another party, it is personal injury law that dictates how the case is handled in a court of law, or how the claimant should be compensated by the liable party. From a legal standpoint, personal injury law is referred to as “torts.” Torts is an area of the law which is separate from criminal law. There is criminal law, and there is civil law under which torts falls.
- Criminal law focuses on those who break laws by committing such actions as killing someone, robbing a bank, or raping a person. In these types of cases, it is the State or the federal government that files charges against the accused. If they are found guilty in a court of law, they are subject to serving time in prison.
- Civil law focuses on wrongs perpetrated by someone against another person. These tort acts can overlap criminal law, but not in all cases. A tort is a civil wrong that was unintentional but results in serious financial, physical, or fatal damages for the victim. The victim (or a surviving family member) has the right to file a lawsuit against the perpetrator. If the victim wins their case, the defendant will be required to pay the victim a financial award. The judge or jury will determine the amount of that award. Even if the defendant is found guilty, the award may be minimal. Alternately, it could be substantial.
Examples of Personal Injury Cases
There is a wide range of injuries that may evolve into personal injury cases, as our personal injury lawyer can attest. After a free and confidential case review with our personal injury lawyer serving Milwaukee, WI, you’ll have a greater understanding of whether or not you may be eligible to pursue compensation from the at-fault party. Every case and its circumstances is unique from other cases, which is why it’s important to seek guidance from a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer from our firm in Milwaukee, WI. Here are some of the most common types of personal injury cases:
- Slip and fall injuries. When a person slips and falls while visiting a property owned or managed by another party, and the fall occurred because of negligence or carelessness of the property manager, the victim may be eligible for compensation for their damages.
- Nursing home abuse. If a resident is injured or neglected by nursing home personnel, they (or their family on their behalf) can seek justice by filing a claim against the facility with the help of a personal injury lawyer. A successful claim can result in a substantial financial award.
- Dog bites. Thousands of people are seriously injured in dog attacks every year in the United States. The victims may sustain permanent injuries, including scarring and suffer from emotional distress as well as the physical injury. Surgery may be necessary, and in cases where the victim lost a limb in the attack, they may have to use prosthetic devices for the rest of their life. A Milwaukee, WI personal injury lawyer can pursue a settlement on their client’s behalf.
If you were injured by someone and would like some guidance as to whether or not a personal injury lawyer for Milwaukee, WI might make a difference in your case, contact Hickey & Turim today!