When you’ve been injured due to someone’s negligence and need legal representation, choosing a top personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI offers is an important decision. If you’ve never hired a lawyer before, you might feel overwhelmed by the choices. The attorneys at Hickey & Turim, S.C. understand the stress their clients may feel, especially when suffering from an injury. We have over 70 years of combined experience helping those in need of legal representation.
Depending on the extent of your injury and the expected recovery time, a personal injury lawsuit can last months or even years. Before, during, and possibly after a jury trial or settlement negotiation, you’ll be working closely with your attorney. It’s important that throughout this process you and your lawyer have a good working relationship. This is why it is crucial to choose a personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee WI who is right for you.
To find an attorney that can help you recover personal injury damages, it may be helpful to keep the following tips in mind.
Four Tips for Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Legal experience. A lawyer straight out of law school will likely have a hard time competing with one who has decades of real world experience. Every client’s case is unique, and an experienced lawyer has likely seen an array of different cases. There is no substitute for an experienced Milwaukee WI personal injury lawyer. To help determine an attorney’s experience level, you may want to ask the following questions:
- How much trial experience do they have?
- How much experience do they have in negotiating settlements?
- Do they have medical experts with whom they can consult if needed?
- Personal injury law focus. If the attorney does not usually work on personal injury cases, you may wish to cross them off your list — particularly if you have a complicated case. Very often, a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI victims hire is one who has had success with similar cases. It may be useful to ask the attorney if they have worked on cases similar to yours and what the outcome was.
- Good reputation. It may be beneficial to look for a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI residents recommend. Generally, a good reputation takes hard work to earn. Even if you have to perform an Internet search for online reviews, this is likely a better option than choosing a lawyer from a phone book or online advertisement.
- Realistic assessment. In pursuing a personal injury lawsuit or settlement, the goal is usually to recover your past, present, and possible future damages related to one’s injury. If a lawyer makes unrealistic promises about what you can expect from a settlement or jury trial, it may be best to contact another skilled personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI has to offer.
It will likely be important to hire a personal injury attorney so that he or she can help ensure your case is filed before the statute of limitations expires. It may also be important to find an attorney who’s a good fit for your needs. At Hickey & Turim, S.C., we offer a free, no obligation case evaluation. Call us today at 262-797-6677 for a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI injury victims trust.