Skip to main content

June 30, 2021

What If I’m the Victim of a Hit-and-Run Crash?

Back To Blog

Posted in Wisconsin Workers Compensation Related News

Car accident Lawyer

Being in a car accident is always stressful. When the other driver leaves the scene, it only compounds the problem. Know what steps to take if you’re in this situation to protect your legal rights and to get through the claims process as easily as possible.

Report the Accident

The first thing to do in any accident is to assess your need for medical treatment. Call 911 to get first responders to the scene. Don’t refuse medical attention. You may have injuries that aren’t yet evident. Soft tissue injuries often show up later. Adrenaline masks pain.

Drivers have a legal responsibility to report an accident. Even though the other driver is nowhere to be seen, you still need to call the police. This police report can help you later. If you are able, gather as much information on your own as you can. Get the names of witnesses and the ID of the police officer. It can take you a few days to get the accident report. You’ll want this information when you report it to the insurance company.

Take pictures of the scene. Include the surroundings, such as construction or road signs. Try to get pictures of the traffic situation, so you can show the circumstances. If you got a description of the vehicle, write it down and note any identifying characteristics of the car. Save this information on your phone and in the cloud.

Report the Accident to Your Insurance

Not only do you have a responsibility to report an accident to the police, you are probably required to report it to your insurance company, even when you aren’t at fault. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company may start the claim process to get your back to your routine. In no-fault states, you would go through your insurance to pay your medical bills. If the hit and run driver is ever identified, you can proceed with filing a claim under their insurance policy.

Should You Talk to a Lawyer?

If your damages or injuries are serious, you may want to seek assistance from a personal injury lawyer with experience in auto accidents. Hit and run accidents can be difficult to navigate the claim process while healing from the injuries. If the driver is identified, you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover damages. Unfortunately, many drivers who leave the scene of an accident are uninsured and don’t have many assets.

Make an appointment to discuss your auto accident with a personal injury lawyer.

If it is concluded that seeking compensation by means of legal action, experts recommend hiring a car accident lawyer who is licensed in the state in which the accident occurred. For example, if you were in a hit and run accident, a car accident lawyer such as one from Norris Law, may be hired to assist with the legal proceedings. A local lawyer will be able to answer questions about your case, taking into account state traffic laws.

Dedicated To Getting You Results

Contact Us For A Free Consultation