Skip to main content

November 30, 2017

Should I Sue for Wrongful Termination?

Back To Blog

Posted in Wisconsin Workers Compensation Related News

If you believe you have been wrongly terminated from your job, you should not just let it go. You may be able to sue your employer and receive compensation for your mistreatment. But how do you know if you have the right to pursue compensation?

Are You a Protected Class?

A protected class is a person who is protected from treatment that is due only to his or her gender, race, religion or physical condition. For example, your employer can’t fire you if you are Muslim or a woman.

Have You Taken a Protected Action?

Protection may also be available for employees who take certain actions in the workplace. For example, your employer can’t fire you for taking a stand against illegal work practices. If you think you have been fire for a protected action, it may be in your best interest to speak to a wrongful termination lawyer.

Can You Prove That You Were Fired for Either of Those Reasons?

Proving that you were fired for either of these reasons is not easy. You will need to provide sufficient evidence to prove your case. For example, if another employee witnessed the unfair behavior your were subjected to, he or she may be able to testify on your behalf. It is rare, but a manager could admit that you were wrongly fired. If this occurs, it is important to document the event immediately.

Pursuing Your Case Could Help Others

Filing a wrongful termination lawsuit can be stressful, but it is well worth it to pursue justice. You won’t just get compensated for lost wages; you can also help other workers. You can provide a voice for other workers who have been too afraid to speak up.

Do not hesitate to speak up if you believe you have been wrongfully terminated. You owe it to yourself and others to hold your employer accountable for their actions. This can make employers think twice about treating employees poorly in the future because it can lead to repercussions. If you want to file a wrongful termination lawsuit, you should set up a meeting with a qualified attorney such as the Work Injury Lawyer as soon as possible. He or she can review your case for free and advise you the best way to proceed. A skilled attorney can help you build a strong case against your employer and ensure you receive the justice you deserve.

Seeking the advice of a workers’ compensation lawyer who specializes in workers’ compensation claims can be helpful if you are injured on the job.

Thank you to our contributors at the Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt for their knowledge about workers’ compensation benefits.

Dedicated To Getting You Results

Contact Us For A Free Consultation