Skip to main content

August 05, 2018

How We Can Assist With Your Social Security Disability Claim for Your Child

Back To Blog

Posted in General

The legal team at Hickey & Turim understands what it is like to be a parent who is trying to provide the most for their children. There are many stressors in life. When you add the stress of providing for a family, one of which has a physical or mental disability, it can feel overwhelming. However, you have likely paid social security taxes since you received your first paycheck. You pay such taxes, so that they are available should you need them at some point in your life. That need includes the health and well-being of your children. You do not need to decipher the convoluted and lengthy forms on your own. The attorneys at Hickey & Turim are experienced in the application process as required by the Social Security Administration (SSA). We know what therapy and doctor reports are important to gather when submitting the application. We can prepare you for the questions you will be asked and the hoops you will need to jump through.

What forms do I need to fill out?

There are two primary forms that the SSA requires in order to determine if and how much assistance they will provide to you on behalf of your child. The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) application is designed to provide monthly monetary support to people over the age of 65 and under the age of 18 who have a disabling condition. For children under the age of 18, the physical or mental condition must be evaluated and be considered a disability by the SSA.

The other form required by the SSA, for assistance consideration, is the Child Disability Report. Within the report, there are questions about your child’s disability that are designed to measure how severely the child’s level of functioning is affected. You will need to sign release of information forms so that the SSA can contact therapists and doctors to ask about your child’s diagnosis and functional limitations.

How do I know if my child qualifies prior to submitting the forms?

The SSA has put together a list of qualifying conditions, including more severe conditions that are eligible for immediate SSI assistance. We can help you discern your child’s diagnosis in accordance with the SSA criteria.

What documents do I need?

In addition to the SSI application and the Child Disability report, it is also recommended that you collect any other documents you may have that shows how your child’s physical and mental level of functioning in different environments. This may include therapy reports, doctor evaluations, IEP, CAT scans, alternative treatment reports, etc.

Do I make too much money?

There are limits of household income and resources that determine your eligibility. There are also state requirements that vary depending on where you live. Hickey & Turim can evaluate your income and resources and make recommendations on how to proceed.

What can I do?

You can contact Hickey & Turim. From our initial consultation, we will support you in any way we can. We are empathetic to our client’s needs be it emotional and/or monetary. Our legal team is practiced in the SSA’s policies and procedures. It can be an overwhelming experience with the complicated applications and amount of documentation requested by the SSA. Contact Hickey & Turim today.

Dedicated To Getting You Results

Contact Us For A Free Consultation