Do You Need a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer?
If you were injured at work, you might be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits, including lost wages and payment of medical expenses. While some claims are straightforward, others can be complicated, and you may need the services of a workers’ compensation lawyer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
What Should You Do After a Workplace Injury?
Always report the event to your employer, even if it seems minor. Later complications may require extensive medical treatment and prolonged time off work. Filing an incident report establishes when and how the injury occurred.
See a doctor for an assessment of your injury. Immediate medical care may be necessary, but a baseline of your condition also needs to be established if more severe issues arise.
Determine if your case needs to be evaluated by a workers’ compensation attorney.
When Would You Not Need an Attorney?
There are times when an attorney isn’t required:
- Your employer agrees that the injury happened at work.
- You don’t need expensive or long-term medical services.
- You missed a minimal amount of work.
In these instances, the insurance company is less likely to refuse your claim.
When Is It Advisable To Hire a Lawyer?
If any dispute emerges, you should consult with a workers’ compensation lawyer. Professional expertise and experience can help if:
- Your employer or your employer’s insurance company denies your claim.
- You don’t know if you should accept a settlement offer.
- You have a permanent injury that affects your ability to work.
- You are denied essential medical treatment.
- You are involved in a hearing or court case.
How Can an Attorney Help You?
You may think you can defend your claim on your own, but are you knowledgeable about the relevant laws and procedures? A good lawyer can:
- Gather all necessary information and documentation
- Protect your rights
- Negotiate a satisfactory settlement
- Help you gain access to needed treatments and benefits
- Competently navigate court proceedings
You can rely on your attorney to handle these complicated matters so you can focus on healing from your injury.
How Are Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Paid?
You might be wondering if you can afford to hire an attorney, even if you have a contested claim. Most workers’ compensation cases are handled on a contingency fee basis: If you win the case, the lawyer will receive a percentage of the monetary award, but if your case is lost, you should not owe anything. You may, however, be responsible for expenses such as filing fees, deposition expenses, and copying fees.
Do You Think You Should Hire an Attorney?
If you have determined that you need to hire a workers’ compensation attorney or think that you might, don’t wait. Consult with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible after your injury. Contact Hickey & Turim SC today to schedule a free consultation during which we can discuss the facts of your case.
Posted on November 30, 2021 @ 6:52 pm