Suffering from a brain injury can leave a person with lifelong effects that may require extensive rehab and long term care. If the brain injury was received from an injury where another person is liable, it may be in your best interest to speak with an attorney. Accessing a brain injury attorney will be helpful in working through the legal process as efficiently as possible.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic Brain Injuries are caused by an external impact and are one of the leading causes for personal injury. According to the CDC, more than 47% of all TBIs were from slip and fall accidents. Common types of brain injuries that someone may suffer from include:
- Contusions: The results in direct impact to the head and can cause bleeding in the brain.
- Concussions: Occur when there is a direct impact to the head such as being hit or experiencing whiplash in a car accident.
- Penetrative Injury: If an object were to perforate the brain resulting in the loss of brain tissue.
- Axonal Injury: Can occur from shaking or rotating of the brain. This can cause brain damage or even death.
Acquired Brain Injuries
When a person suffers from an acquired brain injury, their brain has been deprived of oxygen. This often happens in incidents when direct impact does not occur. For example, if someone suffered from strangulation or a drowning incident in a pool. Another possible way that someone may experience this type of brain injury is from exposure to toxins such as lead.
How an Attorney Can Help
When considering a personal injury attorney, there are a number of reasons why they are an obvious choice in helping you.
- They will negotiate with insurance companies so you don’t have to.
- File your personal injury claim.
- Gather evidence that supports your claim.
- Ensure that you are compensated for all losses as the result of your brain injury. Some examples include: past and future medical expenses, miscellaneous expenses such as gas to and from appointments, and compensation for lost wages
- They will help to complete the legal process as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Physical damage experienced from a brain injury can have a lasting impact. When you or a loved one experiences a brain injury, the aftermath can be tragic, as in some cases; injuries sustained to the brain never heal. Many attorneys offer free consultations to go over the details of your case and determine if a personal injury claim would be fitting to your situation. A skilled attorney such as the Personal Injury lawyer locals turn to will be able to support you in gaining the damages you are entitled to.