Skip to main content

July 18, 2022

I Have Been Served With A 50B, Do I Need A Lawyer?

Back To Blog

Posted in Wisconsin Workers Compensation Related News

Navigating the court system can be difficult and frustrating, especially when you are accused of domestic violence. When you have been served with a domestic violence protective order, also known as a restraining order, you must act quickly because a response to the order must be filed with the court within 10 days. Contacting an attorney quickly will provide the attorney with enough time to review your case thoroughly before any upcoming court dates or the 10-day window closes, according to our friends at Garrett, Walker, Aycoth & Olson, Attorneys at Law.

Domestic Violence Lawyer

The 50B protective order will prevent you from contacting the person accusing you of domestic violence, but these protective orders can include many other court orders. You may be required to leave the home, provide alternate housing for the accuser, make child support payments, or temporary child custody may be awarded to the accuser, to name a few. It is important that you fully understand the order against you.

Additionally, if an emergency protective order has been issued, or the protective order was granted without you present at the hearing, you may be required to give the sheriff all of your firearms, ammunition, and permits to purchase or carry a firearm.

Family Lawyer

Having an attorney to guide you through the process will ensure you understand what you can and cannot do so that you do not unintentionally violate the protective order. Any law enforcement officer or agency can arrest you for a violation. Violating a 50B protective order will result in your arrest and can lead to a jail sentence of up to 150 days or more depending on the nature of the violation, among other things.

Ensuring the best possible outcome requires your full cooperation with the protective order. A family law attorney by your side during this stressful and confusing time will help achieve that outcome as well as provide you with peace of mind.

Family Law Attorney

If you or someone you know has been served with a 50B, we recommend you speak with top rated domestic violence lawyers. A law firm is well equipped to assist you with your 50B, domestic violence case.

Dedicated To Getting You Results

Contact Us For A Free Consultation