How To Choose A Doctor Following A Motor Vehicle Collision…
Motor vehicle collisions are physically and emotionally a traumatic experience. Accidents are unwarranted and unpredictable but unfortunately they do occur. After an accident many thoughts run through your head and the process of deciding if you should call the police, where to take your car, how to deal with insurance companies, and which attorney to choose all takes a lot of time. On top of all this you are probably experiencing physical aches / pain and emotional stress from the collision. Even if you do not feel pain immediately it is still crucial that the first thing you do after being involved in a collision is to get medical attention, because many injuries go unnoticed and untreated which cause greater pain and disability later in life. The biggest question asked is, “Who do I see after a collision?”
- Musculoskeletal Complaints are BEST treated by Doctors of Chiropractic
- Emergency Room Physician / Nurse (less concerned with soft tissue injuries, more concerned with emergencies)
- Primary care Physician (PCP)
- Physical Therapist (DPT)
A Chiropractic Physician is the most common health care provider sought following a motor vehicle collision because the benefits of chiropractic care are many. Chiropractors are the most logical choice of expert and case manager in the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries and Whiplash after a motor vehicle collision. Chiropractors are highly trained and skilled health care providers in the management, evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of MVC injuries due to knowledge of biomechanics and injury mechanisms.
Did you know that motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of head and brain injuries? Brain injuries can occur when the head has been struck by an object such as the windshield or airbag deflating. You don’t necessarily need direct external trauma to the head to suffer injuries after a collision. When a car is suddenly stopped or collides with an object your brain undergoes a sudden acceleration / deceleration movement (Whiplash injury). Many brain injuries are the result of bruising, bleeding, twisting, or tearing of brain tissue. Evidence of or damage to the brain may occur at the time of the accident, or develop over time as tissues swell and bleed within the head. Whiplash is a worldwide growing epidemic and a serious injury that needs immediate care and attention.
There are FIVE basic types of mechanisms in a motor vehicle collision:
- Frontal or offset
- Side Impact or T-bone
- Rear end
Rear end collisions tend to cause greater injuries to the body. From this type of accident there are 3 million new whiplash injuries each year. Today’s challenges are easily overcome using a strong team approach to treat injuries sustained from motor vehicle collisions! Chiropractors have the ability to diagnose and treat motor vehicle injuries better than any other health care provider.
After a collision it is mostly the spinal structures that are injured such as:
- Disc : are the shock-absorbing cushions between each vertebra of the spine
- Ligament : connective tissue that connects bone to bone
- Facet Joints : Allow your spine flexibility to move and twist
- Muscles, are however where we often feel the aches and pain American Health and Wellness Center, P.C. Some of the acute or subacute symptoms you may experience after a collision include:
- Neck Pain, Back Pain, Wrist Pain, Knee Pain
- Headache / Concussion
- Intracapsular Pain
- Cognitive Difficulties
- Ocular dysfunction (blurred vision, photophobia)
- Extremity pain or weakness ● Dizziness / lightheadedness What to expect from your first visit at American Health and Wellness Center:
- Thorough Examination and documentation of your chief complaint
- Possibility of Plain film Radiographs – X-Ray to rule out cervical instability or fracture
- Concussion Examination performed by Chiropractor / Certified Athletic Trainer
- Soft tissue, modalities, rehabilitation, postural assessment
- At home exercise program, Nutritional advice, Co-management with other providers such as physical therapist and primary care physician
If you have been involved in a personal injury, American Health and Wellness Center is here to get you back to good health! Let us help you by providing information about your insurance, gather detailed history and objective findings to keep your claim in good standing. For more information visit www.amhwell.com or call us at (703) 787-7463.
If you or someone you know has been the victim of an automobile collision and did not get immediate medical attention, please keep an eye out for any symptoms that persist for more than several weeks, as well as difficulty accomplishing work or household tasks, avoidance issues or substance abuse. It is crucial to take immediate action to avoid chronic injuries developing later in life.
Posted on July 9, 2018 @ 4:37 pm